Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Youth Sports

Spring time is Little League season around here, and that always gets me to thinking about youth sports.  It all started off innocently enough, a little soccer and t-ball at the Y.  Soon enough it morphed into something more.  Something much more.

When I was a kid we spent most of the time outside playing with other kids in the neighborhood, whether a little older or a little younger, it didn't seem to matter much.  I don't think I played "organized" sports until I was in 7th grade.  If it seems that kids are playing on more organized  teams these days, it is because they are!  It's almost like an arms race---somebody might get better than you.  I don't care to get into if it's right or wrong, it just happens. 

As I said, my experience with youth sports as a parent started at the Y.  Everyone gets to play, learn a few of the rules, feel good all around.  The kids get a little older, they start keeping score!  The parents start getting "involved" (myself included!), and I think maybe the kids start having less fun.  More practice (drugery?), more games, more sports.  I think some kids start to burn out on it.  On the other hand.....

Some seem to really like it!  Soccer turns into a year 'round sport.  You need to squeeze softball and baseball in.  Basketball in the winter, but still have indoor soccer and tournaments to contend with. A little volleyball and swimming can't take too much time.  Of course, there is indoor practice for baseball --somebody else may be hitting!  After a while, if your good enough--or just feel like putting in the time, you no longer play on the rec teams, you move on to the select teams.  No longer do you just play in your hometown--you travel!  More uniforms!  Paid coaches!  Paid officials!  Parents treat you and expect you to act like pros--even though you're still kids (guilty here!).  Some kids start to concentrate on one sport (they're specializing), while others will play many (cross training you know).   Are your kids (mine) better athletes?  Maybe, maybe not.  But they do have better opportunities because of......

Money!  It costs!  You learn real fast how to sell stuff for fundraising.  T-shitrts, coupons, wrapping paper, all kinds of stuff.  And you don't cover it all.  Sometimes you gotta' dig.  Traveling?  Gas, lodging and food add up.  Better teams, better coaches, more coach pay!  Equipment---shoes! 

I actually started looking forword to high school sports when the kids were in 7th grade or so, because I knew they couldn't play on club teams anymore--oops.  Still get to play soccer year round.  Fall ball for baseball and softball.  Okay, spring too. Summer basketball.  And then track and cross country reared its head....  At least the travel was less.  

Looking back, I wouldn't have missed any of it for gold.  I got a chance to coach my kids some.  I watched them do things I never thought I'd see them do.  I saw them win, I saw them lose, always with grace and honor, win or lose.  I was very fortunate, in that I seldom missed any event they played in.  Sometimes this took a little bit of fancy footwork on my part...and I admit I may have had to exceed the speed limit once in awhile.  And the next thing you know its over and done.  No more teams for them to play on, no more school to represent.  I remember a neighbor once said to me that I didn't have to go to every game.  To which I replied I go, because you never know when it'll be their last....every last mile traveled, every last cent spent on equipment and coaching and lodging was worth it.  I loved it....which is why.....

I'm driving to UMass on Friday for a TRACK MEET!  The boy may run for no more that 5 or six minutes, and I'm driving 17 hours one way.  Crazy?  Probably, but there aren't that many events left, so....I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment