Friday, May 11, 2012

Time To Collect The Kids

Well its time to go get the kids and bring them home from college.  Saturday I'll head to Minneapolis to get Aleah from University of Minnesota, then on Sunday it's back to St. Louis to get Stew from SLU.  Good thing I practiced driving with the trip to U Mass. last week. 

I am looking forword to having the kids home.  It is going to be different though.  I am certain they are not the same people they were when they sent to college last fall, and am pretty sure they will think the Misses and I have changed as well.  Between classes and working and whatnot, I hope we get to spend some quality time together as a family.  Although I don't see any big vacations, maybe we can even get away for a couple of days.  Maybe a ballgame or the State Fair or something.  I'm sure I'll bring up the zoo or the museum, and I'm pretty sure they will both come up with some excuse.  They're gonna have to work, or run, or study, or hang out with friends. I get it.

The thing is I don't have any idea of how much more time we have as a family living together.  It would not surprise me in the least bit if one or the other--or both for that matter--don't come home for summer vacation next year.  Truth be told, I'm kind of surprised they will both be here this year.  They are certain to have oppurtunities in their collge towns, and I hope they take advantage of them.  That being said, I hope to take advantage of the time we have together.  So we'll have some meals together, hit a few events, I'll tell some bad jokes and listen to them groan.  I'll put them in the chair of trurth and ask them questions they don't want to answer (may have to bring in Mr Hervey for that), and before you know it they will be heading back to school.  I'll be happy for them, but sad for me.  The time with the kids has gone way too fast.  And it marches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment