Thursday, May 17, 2012

Best invention of your lifetime.....

My Pops always used to ask me what I thought the greatest invention of my life was.  I always used to say for him it must have been the wheel.  He'd call me a few names, and then go on about how television was the greatest invention ever.  He was always amazed about how he could watch sporting events from around the world, or fishing, or whatever.  Then when he got cable it was over.  All the different shows!  He'd often call me and say did you see this or that, or you gotta' come over and see this. He was convinced that television was the greatest invention ever....and I tended to agree with him.  This was thirty years ago.  Asked this question today,  I'd have to say the greatest invention ever would have to be the personal computer, and everything that came with it.

I still remember back in college when there was one computer for the entire ten story dorm.  Shoobie would mention something about the internet and how you would be able to communicate with other people and get information.  I didn't really pay any intention to him.  How in the world was I going to work a computer.  If I wanted to talk to somebody I called them on the phone.  If I needed information about something I went to the library and looked it up.  Heck, if I wanted to be real cocky I'd call a TV station and get their reseach department.  They would call me back in an hour or so.  Wish that I'd paid more attention to computers and the internet back then. 

I learned about PCs and the internet.  I bought stuff from clothes to new cars sight unseen.  I refinanced my house without talking to anyone until I sighed the papers.  I have sold stuff to perfect strangers. As some of you are aware, I found out there is all kinds of information available on the internet.  I tracked down over a hundred people I haden't see in 25 or 30 years for the UW-O reunion a couple of years ago.  I watch movies, view photos, find out what is happening around the world almost instantly.  I am able to keep up with people through social media.   I have downloaded thousands of songs---some for free!  I have repaired major appliances looking up information on the internet.

Of course, now there are devices you just carry around with you.  IPhones or whatever they are called by different companies.  Talk about an all in one device!  Phone, camera, gps, personal computer, darn near everything all in one.  Just think of a device you can carry in your pocket that lets you access basically all the information known to man.  Try going back in time and explaining that to someone from even 1975 or so.  They may have been hard pressed to believe what has happened.  And happened so fast.  Whenever I think about it, as you all know, the personal computer and all the extensions that go with it have really changed our lives.  I'd have to say it's the best invention of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Told you that Internet thing was going to be big ;) Seriously it is amazing what we can get to instantly now when it used to take hours or days to obtain before. And regarding your comment about cable - I am finding out that I am now part of a new trend which is to cut off cable tv and watch everything through you digital antenna or online thorugh your internet ready tv. No limit to what or when you watch things now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I just haven't embraced it all yet. I love being able to keep in touch with people around the globe to be the best thing...having ready contact to a former Rotary student from HS now in Austrailia....college friends....all pretty amazing...The rest of it is kind of an annoyance to me. Looking stuff up...it's good. Can't see myself reading a book on a screen (there's something about closing a book after you've finished it!). Those sorts of things just seem far beyond anything I want to do with technology. On the flip side, I won't be replacing these gizmos endlessly for something bigger and better and faster and.....

      Delete