Tuesday, May 29, 2012

They just give stuff away.....

I like to win stuff on the radio (or TV for that matter).  I don't care what it is, if they're giving it away I like to win it.  I am either the fastest dialer or the luckiest guy around, because I win lots of stuff.  Lots.  Mostly concert tickets, but other stuff as well. 

I remember the first thing I ever won on the radio.  I must have been in the fourth or fifth grade.  It was a t-shirt--Twoallbeefpatiesspecialsaucelettucecheeseonasesameseedbun.  Think I wore it out.  I won a few albums (vinyl thing with music on it), a few tickets to ball games, stuff like that.  Sometimes you need to know some trivial things, sometimes the questions are hard.  Most of the time you just need to be the right caller.  About six years ago, I had my biggest win, a pair of earrings with a value of 5K (so the appraisal says).  Should have saved them for the anniversary or birthday, but I just tossed them to the Misses.  Kinda hard to top with an anniversary gift.

So the last year and a half or so I have been on a roll.  A guy at work and I have a little contest going it seems.  Don't know if it's the phone I'm using or where I'm calling from or just dumb luck.  But at the risk of ruining my good karma, I've decided to list winnings from the last 18 months or so.  And I don't know if it's complete---memory sometimes runs together on this stuff.....

Shows
The Monkees--gave 'em to the sister in law.  She's a big fan, glad she got to see 'em before Davy passed.
Toby Keith--gave 'em to the neighbor--she really wanted to go, so she went
Jackson Browne--2 sets.  Sold one set.  Great concert, once I got the guy next to us to stop singing along.
Oak Ridge Boys--Mom loved 'em
Little Big Town---This was a great show with the meet and greet......just don't look into her eyes....
Paula Cole---not good.  Bad.
Patty Smith.  She is the Warrior---why is she still out singing?
1964 The Tribute---2 sets.  Couldn't give 'em away
Taylor Swift---Sent the daughter.  She loved it.  Thinks she is in the video....
Gordon Lightfoot--2 sets.  Sold 'em both for $50/pair.  Who woulda' thought....
Glen Campbell--gave 'em away.  Guess this was a sad one. 
Jason Mraz---who?  Daughter went, but left early for free Maroon 5 show...
Don Williams--older than dirt, but mom liked him (me too)...
Brad Paisley---really wanted to go, but I got $120 a piece, so.....
John Tesch--Christmas show---kind of corny.  Guy has huge hands and feet, and a terrible  comb over....
Nickleback--gave 'em away.
Miranda Lambert--Went with the Misses.  We both had a good time...
Lady Antebellum--going in June
Dave Matthews---Sending the boy--maybe

What else in the last year and a half or so.  Movie tickets, a pile of Summerfest tickets, a bunch of cd's, some dvd's,  tickets to The Nutcracker, West Side Story, The Million Dollar Quartet, Cirque du Solie.  Bucks tickets, Waukesha County Fair tickets, Fireside Theater, restaurant gift cards, Lord of the Dance, Wisconsin State Fair and a hundred dollars worth of Cuddleduds-- to keep the Misses warm in the winter.   I also won a 48 inch state of the art flat screen, but didn't have eligibility so I had to use Joe's name.  He got the TV, but kicked me a couple of hundred for the effort.  I really don't have room for a TV like that anyways.  Some stuff I went to, some I gave away, others I turned into beer money....

Obviously I have to be one of the luckiest radio contest people around.  Hope my luck holds, because the summer concert season it right around the corner.  Can't wait to see what they're giving away.....




2 comments:

  1. This is hysterical, as the kids and I were just talking about all the fun stuff we'd love to win! I've started my ear to the ground for contests! I, too, find it fun to win -- but don't have the good luck that you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with it Mare----it's fun! You'll get the hang of it.....

      Delete