Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cars

I need to get a new car.  Not necessarily a new car, but I need to replace the Nissan.  Exhaust system needs to be replaced--$1400 minimum.  Cracked windshield.  Relay problem.  Brakes seem to be fading.  !55,000 miles. Starting to rust.   I just can't see sticking the money into the thing to fix the problems. The only reason we keep the Caravan is to haul the kids stuff back and forth to college.  We'd probably be better off just renting a truck--although I dread that idea as well.  And it has nearly 120,000 miles on it as well.  The Camrey is in good shape, but after 5 years the miles are starting to pile up on it as well.

I hate the process of getting a different car.  I've bought new cars and used cars, from dealers and from private parties.  I've bought them from friends and acquaintances.  I'm always worried somebody is trying to get the best of me.  I have buyers remorse after I get a new car.  The last time I bought a car I did it entirely over he internet.  I actually got three dealerships to bid against each other, and once I got a price I liked it was a done deal.  But that was on a new car.  Don't really think I want to go that route this time. 

Nobody puts car ads in the newspaper anymore.  Everything seems to be on Craigslist or the like.  Everyone has the same information as far as values for different options and conditions and whatnot.  And everyone thinks their vehicle is worth more than I think it is.  My dilemma is if I buy from a private party I can probably get a better price, but if I buy from a business I think, as far as condition goes, the car will at least have been checked out.  My problem is I have to decide how much this "peace of mind" is worth to me.

The one thing with cars I hate worse than buying them is selling them.  I never think I get what they are worth.  And I always worry I'll sell the car and something will go wrong with it.  I especially worry something likes brakes will fail and there will be an accident and someone will get hurt.  That is the reason I will never sell a car to somebody I know.  Probably send another one off to Bart.  No worries about it then.

I look at a car as nothing more than transportation, a way to get from point A to B.  I don't really care if its the most popular or best looking vehicle on the road.  All I want is for it to start, have heat in the winter and not suck fuel like its water.  Oh, and I need to find it at a price I find fair.  Ya think it would be easy enough.  I'll let ya know....


No comments:

Post a Comment