Thursday, May 3, 2012

Suicide....

Famous football player Junior Seau killed himself yesterday.  He was a twenty year veteran of the NFL, and had no history, ever, of concussions or head injuries.  I think he just didn't tell anyone when he was dinged up.

Worldwide, there are about 1 million suicides committed each year, while there are anywhere from 10 to 20 million attempted.  There is thought these numbers are actually under reported, because people may kill themselves in single car accidents and the like.  Women attempt more suicides than men, but men are more successful.  Suicide is the third leading cause of death among people aged 10 to 24.  Among causes are depression, anxiety, eating disorders and substance abuse.  Bullying also is in the news now as a cause of suicide.

The effects of suicide on surviving friends and family can be devastating.  Suicide survivors often feel conflicting emotions when suicide occurs, including  grief or sadness for their loss, helpless to prevent it, longing for the person they loss, anger at the person for taking their life, to relief if the person had been mentally or physically ill.  Emotions tend to be very complicated for those left behind.

I have always though of suicide as a chicken sh*t way to get out of things.  I feel badly for the survivors, family that has to put up with all the questions, asking themselves all the whys and what not.  I think I understand a little more now that people have issues that sometimes make them feel like there is no way out. 

Off the top of my head I've known three people who have committed suicide.  I was about 10 or 12 I guess when my grandparents neighbor hung himself.  His wife had passed away during the previous year and I suppose he just couldn't go on.  Then there was Slivon, a guy I hung out a little bit with in high school.  He didn't graduate with us, and I was told he said there was no way he was going back for another year of high school.  He saw no future, so on the 4th of July in 1978 he took a twelve gauge to the park and did the deed.  Finally, Saltzman was a guy I worked with at the PO not long after I started.  He had a rough time of it, and the more people got on his case, the more he whined about it, and it just escalated.  Suppose you'd call it bullying.  He wasn't good at the job, but he was an okay guy I guess (I had transfered out by this time). Anyways, he finally had enough and went up to the Dells with a gun and took his life.   I wasn't real close with any of these people, but it does make you think. 

I have always wondered what could be so bad that no life is better than the one you have.  I am sure there are circumstances that seem bleak, but I think of the ones left behind.  I hope that you haven't had to deal with this in your lives, and if you have that you don't blame yourself.  Try to learn some of the signs of suicidal behavior and stay on the lookout.  And if anyone out there or anyone you know if having the thought, please talk to somebody and try and get some help.  There is always an alternative.

2 comments: