Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Olympics


We are well into the first week of the Olympics.  I like most things about the Olympics.  I like all the oddball sports you only see on TV every four years---like archery and air rifle shooting and sword fighting.  I like the back stories they always provide.  The people who have overcome hardships in their lives or moved on from underdog status to favorite or the real old guy who you can't believe is in the Olympics to the young girl who you can't believe does the things she does.  I like the pageantry of the opening ceremonies.  And I like how the teamwork plays out, not only for an athletes particular sport, but for the entire team.  It's cool to see athletes from one sport supporting those in other sports.  I like how NBC tries to tell us who the big breakout stars are going to be--and that sometimes they are wrong....

There are a few things I am not really that fond of as well.  Some of these announcers seem to think they are bigger than the event.  Quite down already.  I'm not wild about the professionals in the Olympics either.  They just played Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago---it's like watching a replay.  The NBA has so many foreign players now that the Olympics is like watching the exhibition schedule--you know some of the guys, others you never heard of, but the stars will take over,  Except for the All-Stars, er I mean the USA team.  I like all the coverage that is provided, but I do find it difficult at times to figure out what is on where.
I still don't like the eastern bloc countries.  Nothing against their athletes, but I grew up watching the Olympics in the iron curtain era.  I remember the (seemingly?) questionable refereeing and judging of the past.  Suppose they see it differently from their prospective.  Still like to beat them.  I miss softball, baseball not so much. 

As I sit here on Tuesday we are tied with China in the medal count, although they lead in gold.  There is a heck of a lot of Olympics left to go.  Still lots of swimming and volleyball and biking.  And of course we have probably the most exciting and watched events, Athletics----that would be track and field for those of you not in the know. 

I enjoy watching all the different events and the athletes representing their countries.  I hope that their are no controversies with judging and scoring, that nothing like what happened in Munich happens again, and that all the competitors have abstained from the banned substances. I hope all the competitors and spectators get the Olympic Spirit, and that there are all kinds of wonderful stories from these games.  I am certain that I will revisit this subject again (maybe more than once!!), and next time I will have some fun facts to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment