Friday, August 3, 2012

More Olympics!

Well we're about a week in to the Olympics now and I have a few observations.  There sure are a lot of sports that you don't think about except during the Olympics.  Don't usually think much about badminton, or team handball, or sailing, much less them being Olympic events.  I have found out that you can watch any and all of the events in real time on the ol' computer, which is cool, but it being summertime most of my viewing has been of the highlight or taped delayed variety.

I note that there already have been a few controversies.  The "interesting" scoring in the boxing matches, the badminton ladies playing bad on purpose, and of course the subjective scoring system that they have in gymnastics. Oh, and I like the tie breaking system.  Go back and see who did what best in the events, but some count more than others and.....what????  I don't know....I see that some think that the USA was running up the score in the basketball game against Nigeria.  Except they really didn't do much out of the ordinary (for them) except not miss many shots!  Nigeria needs to play a little D instead of watching the other guys shoot!   Don't see anyone beating LeBron and his boys in this one...Oh, and what about the kyacker whose mom is a judge in his events?

Swimmers and gymnasts are amazing at what they do.  I find it interesting that so many of the swimmers are so good with the different strokes.  It would seem to me that if you just concentrated on one stroke you would be able to beat a guy who is doing six or seven events.  Maybe the swimmer with more events has more pool time or is just naturally faster in the tank or just has more drive.  The women gymnasts are amazing with all the flips and vaults and whatnot, and they are obviously very strong.  My question is how do you do some of these thinks for the first time?  Stand on a beam and decide to do a flip and land back on the beam?  Swing around on a couple of "uneven bars" and just fly between them?  Then jump off this stuff, flip around and "stick the landing". Definitely skilled, but they need a better scoring system.

There have been the normal thrill of victory and agony of defeat moments already.  Favorites winning, close loses, upset victories.  There is the usual controversy about PEDs by some--no proof, there never is.  They must have new masking agents!  The back stories have been interesting, and the Youtube stuff is hilarious--I recommend Call Me Maybe Phelps Lochte Music Parody--I laughed.  It was nice to see Will and Kate sitting with the commoners and doing the wave at the tennis match.  Also happy to see the good ol' USA has the lead in the all important medal count.

I will be taking special interest in the next week as we finally get to the track and field events.  The 100m has the four fastest runners ever in it.  It'll be quick.  Also will be looking to see if I see my boy Stew at any of the events.  He is heading over the pond for a week or so to take in the Games.  I told him to paint up his face as that would be sure to get him on the telly--if you know him (as I know him) then you know this isn't happening!  Really just hoping to hear from him a time or two while he is gone!!  Hope everyone is enjoying the Games as much as I am.  Looking forward to some more Olympic moments in the upcoming days.  


No comments:

Post a Comment