Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Summer Concert Season That Was.....

Decided to review the past summer concert season, with a little comment or two about what I saw and what I liked.  It was sure a fun time.  There were a few I wanted to get to but didn't (Gary Allen, FUN), some I had tickets to and didn't go to (Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Neon Trees, Band Perry), and some of the smaller ones I have probably forgotten about.  There were also some acts that I really enjoyed but they didn't crack my top ten of the summer (Thompson Square, Rodney Atkins, Stevie Nicks, Mavis Staples, and, sadly, Here Come The Mummies).  So without further delay.....

10)  Eli Young Band--Dodge County Fair    Went with my daughter Aleah.  Good show, but they have a       limited catalog.   Good, energetic show.

9)  Kool and the Gang---The Mrs. and our friend Cheryl.  Great way to start Summerfest, lots of funky oldies...

8)  Cheap Trick--Williams College at Lake Geneva.  With Shoobie and Roy.  Most beautiful venue of the year.  Little far from the stage (general admission) but a great show.

7)  Montgomery Gentry  Washington County Fair.  Went by myself and had a great time.  Lots of patriotic and drinkin' and drivin' and songs about where they come from.  Fun.....

6)  Brantley Gilbert   Summerfest, by myself again.  What I call country music with attitude.  I think he's good.  Didn't disappoint.  He might get big....

5)  Lady Antebellum.  Summerfest Amphitheater  With the Mrs. and neighbors Jim and Laura.  Very good show.  Seemed like they were having a real good time.  Enjoyed all the big hits, and the ones that probably will be...

4)  Bonnie Raitt  Performing Arts Center.  With the Mrs.  We had talked about not going, be certainly glad that we did.  Excellent show.  And the lady sure can play the guitar....

3)  Darius Rucker  Summerfest,  with the Mrs. and Jim and Laura.  Surprise here--opened for Lady A, put on a killer show.  All his country hits, some Hootie, real good show.  Surprise of the summer.

2)  Neil Diamond.  Summerfest, with the Mrs.  Decided to go see the icon, and was treated  to a fantastic show.  Obviously he's done this before, but he seemed really sincere.  Had a good time, great way to end Summerfest.

1)  Unbelievably, a 67 year old man and his band put on (what I feel) was the show of the summer.  Yup, Rod Stewart---at the Bradley Center with the Mrs. and  Shoobie and Lisa.  High energy, sounded good, great seats, tons of songs to choose from, and fantastic seats equates to a show I won't forget.  And possibly the most talented (definitely best looking!) backing group I've seen.  Fantastic!!

There you have it, my reviews of my summer concert season.   Couldn't have done it without the generosity of the Milwaukee radio stations and the folks who went with me.  Hope they had as much fun as I did, and am looking forward  to see what's coming up next.....


No comments:

Post a Comment