Saturday, August 25, 2012

Well That Was Quick......

......Summer with the kids that is.  Yeah, they're both back at college now, Stew in St. Louis, and Leah in Minneapolis.  They both seemed excited and ready to go back, but that doesn't really make it any easier on me.  I realize they were here for a little over three months, but it sure didn't seem that long.  Stewart is back with his track "family" at SLU now.  They're a really neat group of kids, all kinds of personalities.  He really seems to have a great group of friends.  Can't believe he is in his third year already.  And my little girl Aleah is back with her fraternity friends at Minnesota.  She seems so focused on everything.

I think that this was the last summer that we will all be together.  Stew has more or less told us he probably won't be home next year as he has some class to take to stay on schedule.  And Aleah has her place on a year lease, so I wouldn't be real surprised if she stays in Minneapolis next summer.  I think they finally realized this as well towards the end of summer.  Don't know how else to explain Aleah going to the county fair with me, or Stewart going to the batting cages, or both of them going to the zoo with Granny and me. 

And I guess they are both ready for it.  I am very proud of both of them, and think they are both prepared to head out into the big ol' nasty world.  I will still worry about both of them, complain that I don't hear from them often enough, harp at them to make sure they take care of the books, and encourage them to have some fun.  I hope their friends keep an eye on them, and that they keep an eye on their friends. 

I realize that the kids growing up and heading off on their own is all part of the deal.  You do the best you can and hope for the best.  And the Mrs. and I have done that.  But that doesn't make it any easier on me, and I don't have to like it.  Because every time those kids go off to college, although it is quieter and less congested and more organized around here, I loose more than I gain.  Happy and sad at the same time.......


No comments:

Post a Comment