Thursday, July 26, 2012

Happy Birthday Aleah


I find it hard to believe that it has been 19 years since my daughter was born.  I find it even more difficult to believe that I had to help with the delivery.  The way I remember it......

Unlike the birth of the first child, we pretty much had the delivery date and other birthing matters planned out for child number two.  We arrived at the hospital at the appointed time, checked in, got all situated.  Dr. Clyde (OB/GYN) introduced us to the nurse and a "kid" who was a med student  who was going to observe and "help out".  Whatever.  They got the Mrs. all ready, hooked up the Pitocin, and Dr. Clyde said he'd be back in awhile, he had to go to his clinic across the street.  Then the fun started.

The Mrs. let me know in the way that only women giving birth can that it was time.  Seemed pretty quick to me, but I hit the buzzer to call the nurse and told them it was go time.  The first person to enter the room was our new friend the med student.  He took one look and hit the floor.  He did not look good, looked really ill actually, but now I was worried.  I started hitting the nurse call button again--quite rapidly and repeatedly this time.  When our nurse arrived she said there was no time to wait for Dr. Clyde.  Then she told me to get some gloves on.  Huh?  I can find some tree branches to set your broken limb, and I can apply pressure to stop the blood flow from the gaping wound you sustained, but I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no baby.  Luckily for me our nurse was quite skilled and knowledgeable on the subject, and I was able to follow her instructions with ease (turns out I really didn't do that much at all).  Dr. Clyde finally showed up to make sure everything was good (it was), and the rest of our visit was typical.  Don't know whatever happened to the med student, never saw him again.

So I sit here today the proud father of a beautiful, intelligent, funny and insightful young woman.  She has been a pleasure to be around and to watch grow.  She has never made any decisions that have made me question her in any way.  I enjoy being around her, and miss her when she is not here.  I realize this is going to be happening more, and I accept it, but I don't have to like it.  And no matter what she thinks, she will always be my little girl.  So happy birthday Aleah, I love you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment