Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Good News

Around 25 years ago or so, I had a friend who worked for the local newspaper.  I asked him why he never had any good news to write about.  He told me that if I found any good news to let him know and he would print it.  I did, and he did, and it was kind of nice to read.  So in this day and age of war and drought and shootings and economic hardship, I have decided to find some good news.

And where better to start than by Googling good news.  What I find is mostly religious news, businesses that have good news in their name, and the local Dairy Queen--don't get that one.  I also find a web site for the Today Show.  What I find here are are human interest stories about military homecomings, oddball stories (woman lost memory, earns college degree), and other stories of the like.  I suppose it may be intersting, but a lot of this stuff is old news. I also find little happy notes about all the Today Show personalities, but I don't find this to be good news.  I need to dig deeper. 

I decide to check the local paper.  Lots of not so good news, but that is not what I am looking for.  I see some dog saved a woman's life, a missing girl is found safe, and some 92 year old guy finally has his bar mitzvah.  I decide to check on the community news.

I see the birth announcements and the college news, which is certainly good news for those involved.  I note that Kohl's Department stores are keeping their headquarters here in Menomonee Falls, which is great news for those of us here.  I also see the Piggly Wiggly is coming to town and that the Falls Fest is this weekend.  Weee...........

It is very apparent to me that good news is had to find.  The national news seems to be all about doom and gloom.  Maybe that's what we've come to, I don't know.  It seems the closer to home you look you can find some good things going on, but I guess a lot of it is how you perceive things.  Perhaps it's familiarity.  I know I'd like to pick up the paper someday and not see any news about war and poverty and senseless killings and people struggling to get by.  Guess those days are gone for good.  I suppose good news is how you perceive things, and you have to get it wherever you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment