Monday, July 9, 2012

Summerfest Day 11

Yesterday (Sunday) was the last day of Summerfest 2012.  I bagged days 9 and 10 (fatigue, lack of interest) but was all excited for for the big finale.

The Misses and I got to the grounds about 4:30ish after diner at the Wicked Hop in the Third Ward.  The beer is much less expensive there, and te food is good. There was a pretty good sized crowd at the Fest, probably because the weather was finally really nice.  We walked around a bit, then went to the BMO and watched Bobby Way and the Way Outs for awhile.  They are pretty much a church festival band, and not much to get excited about.  They try hard though.  Next we headed over to the Big Backyard to watch Slumpbuster.  They are basically a cover band who like to mess with the songs.  Seemed somewhat disorganized, but they were okay.

After a little more walking around, it was time for our last act of the year, Neil Diamond at the Marcus Amphitheater.  The place was nearly full, with a very large varriation in age group.  Geez some of these folks were OLD.  Who opens for Neil Diamond?  Why Neil Diamond of course---they played his new record.  After a couple of announcements about safety matters and how Neil is going to do the whole show without an intermission, he hits the stage at 8:10 and the place goes nuts.  Fourteen piece band, all sparkly and well choreographed.  And of course Neil sings nothing but hits--that's all he has!  He plays the crowd, drops in little tidbits ("First played Milwaukee in 1971--I looked it up--it was cold".), just a really tight act.  It was fantastic!  A solid two hours, and everyone--everyone loves Neil.  We had a great time and are certainly glad we went.  Who knows if he'll be back around.....

So who did I miss that I wanted to see this year?  Gary Allen, FUN., Chicago, B-52's, probably a few others.  I learned that Summerfest is a young man's game.  No way I could keep up the hectic pace I had originally planned for myself.  But I had a great time, from the music and the food to running into old friends to my little tour.  I tried to be understanding of the young fools, because I realize I was once myself.  Now I'm just an old one---looking to get back to normal around here, because it's only three and a half weeks until State Fair....

No comments:

Post a Comment