Monday, July 2, 2012

Summerfest Day 5

Day 5 fell on a Sunday, and since I couldn't get anyone to go with me......I went alone!  Surprise surprise....I had planned for quite awhile to see Brantly Gilbert and that's what I did. I hit the grounds about 7:15, after everyone that was heading to the Beach Boys should have been at that concert.  I found the grounds somewhat crowded, but still plenty of room to get around.  Learning my lesson from earlier in the Fest when I couldn't get a seat, I decided to stake out my spot early.  In doing so I got to see a band named the DB Bryant Band.  They seemed to be a typical southern rock band, nothing special.  I do know they were from South Carolina though, because they must have told the audience half a dozen times.

At 10 Brantly Gilbert hit the stage.  The bleachers and stage area were packed by this time.  Gilbert came on loud and strong.  He is a country artist, but with an edge to him.  He writes most of his own stuff, as well as for others, which he also played this evening.  The crowd loved him. The band was real good, and I am glad I made the trek down.  I don't think you're going to have the chance to see this act at a free stage again.  To me this guy seems a lot like Toby Keith.  I remember seeing him at Stat Fair a long time ago, two shows in one night, maybe 200 people there.   I can see Brantly Gilbert on the same arc.

While the concert was great, unfortunately the audience was not.  I try to not get upset at the drunks because I've been there, but these guys were out of hand.  When you can't stand up, time to go home.  Saw a number of underage drinkers apprehended (after they became "ill" and were checked out by the paramedics, they were arrested for their efforts), but the cops don't seem to mind the pot smokers.  Maybe they're good for the food vendors.  Just wish there wasn't so much pushing and shoving  and stepping on people and rudeness.

No Summerfest today, they are waiting until tomorrow when the weather finally warms up......

No comments:

Post a Comment