Friday, June 29, 2012

Summerfest Day 2

Well I learned (relearned?) an important lesson yesterday.  I am no longer as young as I used to be!  After spending 9+ hours at he Fest on Wednesday I should have rested up for Thursday, but no.  The day started at noon with.....

Lunch with the Leinenkugel brothers---and others of course---at Leff's.  Not wanting to be disrespectful to anyone there, lunch also included a number of ice cold Honeyweisses. Quite tasty indeed, but the price would be paid later in the evening.


I rolled into Summerfest at about 3.  Still hotter than the dickens which I'm sure kept the crowd sparse.  I kind of wondered around listening to different bands not finding much to interest me.  They kept announcing that the main stage was sold out for the evening and I was thinking that if everyone on the grounds went to the amphitheater right now the rest of the grounds would be empty.  Finally settled in and watched a band called Midnight Groove for awhile---me and about 125 others.  Honestly I counted.  They played mostly r&b and pop.  Seemed to be a little unorganized, but they were okay.  I had the night planned for country music though, so soon I was on my way to see Sunny Sweeny.

On my way to the Potawatomi stage I swung by Miller Oasis to check out the crowd there.  Not too many people so I figured great, I'll get my same seat as last night.  Over to Sunny Sweeny where I found even less people sitting.  This is really hard for me to believe.  Maybe forty people at the start of the show.  But to me the show was disappointing.  Songs all sounded the same, technical problems, fake thanks yous, too much  chitter chatter.  About 7:45 I decided to head back to the Oasis for Rodney Atkins.

Well I found all the people!  Bleachers were packed, and everyone was standing.  I suppose I could have wormed my way in, but by now I'm drinking Pepsi and don't need the aggravation.  All the young lions are making fools of themselves, but this doesn't bother as I remind myself I've been there done that.  I am amazed at all the young folks (college aged) there singing along.  Rodney Atkins puts on a great show, sings all his hits, is a name dropper---Brewers, Miller, Harley etc.  For not being able to see much I enjoyed myself quite a bit at this show.

And then it's moment of truth time.  At least an hour until Gary Allen, the guy I've come to see.  I am tired.  People are leaving the area like crazy, so I know I can get a seat--or at least a bench to stand on.   But I decide to do the old people thing and head for home.  I am cussing myself for being a wuss, but I leave anyways.  I try to rationalize it by telling myself I'll be back, but geez....




No comments:

Post a Comment