Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Family Vacation---Part 3

Ten years ago we went on what is called here the great American vacation.  The kids were 9 and 10 years old, and already veterans of vacation travels.  I had traded a week of vacation with a co-worker so I had three weeks off in the summer.  Unheard of in the post office, but it was fantastic for me and the family.  We were headed west, and left around three in the morning as was our custom.  Sometimes we had plans where we were going on vacation, other times we just sort of winged it.  This trip would turn out to be a combination of both.

After we stopped for breakfast that first morning, we found ourselves in Minnesota and I started noticing some signs.  Next thing you know we're in Austin, Mn at the Spam Museum.  It wasn't open yet, and I wouldn't have stopped, but there was a line, it was close to opening time, and I was hooked.  Although the kids didn't have a clue, they were good sports about it.  Soon we were back on the road headed for South Dakota. 


A co-worked told me when I got to South Dakota to be sure to stop at the rest area.  Said the views were unbelievable. I was skeptical, but he was right.  Best highway rest stop ever!  Although  the Misses wasn't wild about the sign that said to watch out for snakes.  What to do in South Dakota?  Well, we spent a little time climbing around Sioux Falls (dry), the Corn Palace, the doll museum, the Badlands, went down into some caves, went to a dinosaur excavation site, and of course went to the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore.  Mount Rushmore is an amazing piece of work, considering when it was done and what kind of tools they were working with.  If you ever get the chance, go at night.  They have a real nice program and it is something to see at night.

Leaving Rapid City, we continued west into Montana.  We spent some time at the Custer Battlefield, now  known as The Battle of Little Big Horn.  The tour guides are now American Indians. It changed (the tour) since I'd been there as a kid.  This was another stopped for me, but the family let me have my time.  Our next stop would be in the middle of nowhere.  Devil's Tower is an amazing place to visit, and it is the first national monument.  The kids climbed and we walked around the tower.  People climbing all over the thing, and lots of wildlife.

We continued west, to Butte when my mom had moved and my younger sister lived.  We spent a couple of days there visiting mom.  We also took a day trip to checkout some of the Lewis and Clark trail.  Couple of real nice museums and exhibits, must have been the one hundredth anniversary I think. It was good to see mom--she had spent a lot of time with the kids before they started school and I think they really liked seeing her.  Was also nice to see my sister and her family.  Last time we saw them (although they live in Marshfield now!)--her problem not mine!

This would have been a good vacation for most people--as it was for us--, but we weren't even halfway.  We didn't care to go back the same way, so it was off to Yellowstone.  This had been the main destination for the whole trip, and it did not disappoint.  From the mud pots to the geysers it was amazing.  I could write for a couple of days on the park alone.  We spent a few days at Yellowstone.  One day we were up at 5 to hike the boardwalks.  The rangers were already out, and there were no crowds.  There were the 4 of us and two joggers and a guy with a cup of coffee watching Old Faithful go off.  During the day it's four or five deep, hundreds of people.  We saw all kinds of wild life.  When buffalo decide they are going somewhere, they go.  It is a most wondrous place and I would love to visit again someday.

From Yellowstone it's only natural to go to the Grand Titans.  Gotta love the mountains.  We took a ferry over and did a little climbing on the trails.  There were a lot of people.  I pooped out, and the family stopped with me.  Think they could have gone on for hours, probably should have let them.   We spent the night in Jackson at a wonderful hotel, then decided to do a little white water rating.  Very scenic and a great experience for the family.

Heading home through Colorado, we weren't done yet.  Pike's Peak beckoned.  Now I like to drive, and we had a rental, and I was tempted, but we decided to take the train up instead.  It was a good idea, and an interesting ride up.  It's a geared train, and was an interesting experience.  The views are unbelievable, and of course you have to sing a verse or two of America The Beautiful. While in Colorado we went to the Air Force academy--(just drove in, took a look around.  Got out and looked at a couple of buildings--bet you can't do that now!).  We also spent some time at the Olympic training grounds.  Not many athletes there at the time, but a great facility.  Looked to be a great place to train to be the best.  We drove through the mountains and spent the night in Denver, then had to head for home. 

Stopped in Omaha on the way back.  I had been there a few times as a kid.  I had relatives who owned a saw shop and I tried to find it but it must have been long gone.  The neighborhood was rougher than I remembered as well.  We moved on to Iowa, and stopped in Van Horne, Ia.  Took a look around and found out the were looking for ancestors of their town's founding fathers.  They were hopeful, but we weren't them.  We were getting close to the end of vacation now, but I decided on one more little detour.  And I'm glad I did.  They built it, we went.  The Field of Dreams, before they turned it into a little league complex.  Just on  a farm, in the middle of nowhere.  Threw the ball around some walked around, just relaxed.  Sure am glad we went. 

Headed home from here, but not quite done yet.  Dad always told me to stop if I had a chance, so......to The House on the Rock we went.  Geez what a pile of stuff.  Dusty.  Burned out light bulbs.  Hitting my head on ceilings.  Great place!  Think the kids liked it, Misses didn't, and now whenever we see a sigh for the place....

So that was it.  Three thousand some odd miles, three weeks, seeing a nice chunk of America with the family, as they say priceless.  I enjoyed all my vacations with the family, but this was definitely the best.  No complaints from anyone about time in the car or accommodations, saw things I know I'll never see again, just had a great time.  Sadly I guess that our days of family vacations are over.  I know the Misses and I will still travel--she wants to go to Washington, I want o go to NYC, and I have a retirement date at the Smithsonian.  But the days I spent traveling with both the wife and kids are among the happiest memories I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment