Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Family Vacation--Part 2

One year we decided we were going to the Grand Canyon.  I had been to the Grand Canyon with my family when I was a kid, and the thing I remembered most about that trip was the Indians dumping garbage into the canyon.  Our trip was a much better experience. 

It took us a couple of days to get to the canyon, but when we did it was gorgeous.  Cathie again had laid out a beautiful plan.  This was nothing like the trip I remembered as a kid.  We actually stayed a couple of nights right in the park.  There were many improvements to the park as well.  You can't just drive around any more, you have to park and take buses (much like other national parks nowadays).  The views were spectacular!  We hiked down the canyon one day, which is pretty easy---thing is you have to hike back up.  We saw the sunrise over the canyon.  We hiked the rim.  We laughed at the way people dressed (sandals?  Really?).   It was a great trip. On the way home we decided we were going to hit a couple of more national parks, Zion and Bryce Canyon.  Bryce Canyon is cool with the hoodoos and what not, but what really got me was Zion.  Where as you were at the top of the Grand Canyon heading down, at Zion you were at the bottom looking up.  Spectacular.  The drive in was amazing.  We got there in the early afternoon and then headed to the Zion Canyon, which is cut by the Virgin River.  Much to my surprise, people were in the river heading upstream in the canyon.  We were not prepared for this.   We played in the water a little bit, then headed up stream.  The water wasn't cold, but it was a rocky bottom so you had to be careful or you might find yourself underwater.  I found a ranger heading the other way with a backpack and asked him how far to the end.  He laughed and said at least a day and a half if I knew what I was doing.  We made to the first turn in the canyon and were just awed at the beauty that was ahead.  But I was afraid that if we continued on it would get dark quick (it was a canyon!), and we'd have trouble.  There were more people going back  than heading out so we reluctantly headed back.  We said one day we would come back and go further.

We did.  It is the only time I've gone back to a place we'd already been (far away I mean).  We were much better prepared this time.  We had wet weather footwear, plastic bags for our supplies and cameras, we'd read up a little bit.  The kids were a couple of years older so I had less concerns about them.  We arrived much earlier in the day at the canyon--first or second shuttle of the day.  And we immediately headed into the canyon.  It is a sight to be seen.  Every time you get to a turn it is just more beautiful.  The further you get the less people you see.  The water gets deeper, the canyon itself more spectacular.  We went in for a few hours, and I'm sure we never got close to the end.  After a while the girls decided they'd had enough, but Stew and I continued on.  For a long time we didn't see any other people. Kinda' made me wonder about what would happen if an emergency arose, but whatever.  It was a great day.  We spent a few days staying just outside the entrance to Zion.  We hiked and climbed, just enjoyed the beauty of the area.  One day the girls hiked to the top of Angel's Landing--2.4 miles up on a trail fit for one person at a time.  Stew and I wisely stopped a little short of the top (Scout's Lookout).  I don't care to climb up some rocky cliff where they put chains in for you to hold onto so you don't fall from 5800 feet.  But the views of the canyon and surrounding area are unbelievable.  If you had to choose I would definitely opt for Zion over the Grand Canyon.  I don't imagine I'll ever make it to the end of Zion canyon (start?), but I think I might be willing to give it one more try.....

On the way back from our second trip to Zion we stopped at Mesa Verde and Arches National Parks as well.  Both great places to visit, and Utah has lots of wide open spaces.  I think the speed limit is just advisory!!  This has to rank as my second favorite family vacation.  I'll hit you up with my all time favorite next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment