Saturday, June 16, 2012

Songs of Summer (2012)

As some of you know, about six or seven weeks ago the Misses and I took a little drive out to Massachusetts to watch the A-10 Conference track meet.  I didn't take any cds along, figuring I'd just use the ipod, but there was some problem with the wiring so I could only get sound from half the speakers.  This left us with the radio.  Oh boy.

I can vividly remember a family vacation to the Grand Canyon in l973.  The reason I remember this so clearly is because it seemed like every other song played on the radio was Radar Love.  You would drive a ways and loose reception and the next station would be playing Radar Love.  Well, the same thing happened to us on our way to and from UMass.  About five or seven different songs, but playing over and over constantly.  Ryan Seacrest must control stations all over the country.  The thing is I've come to like some of these songs.  Oh don't get me wrong, I still like my country, but some of this stuff is pretty good.

Now granted I'm only working with a small sample here, but I like Adele.  What a wonderful voice.  I don't mind  Gaga or Katy Perry.  Maroon 5 is okay, guy has a unique voice, but I'd like to know where he found a pay phone.  Train, Goyte, the Wanted all seem interesting.  Flo Rida is entertaining, but from what I read he'll kick your but into the middle of next week if he doesn't like what you say about him.  I get a kick out of Pitbull (always has a helper--don't know if he's trying to be serious or not).  I listened to Mumford and Sons--they remind me of the Kingston Trio.

Some of these songs have lyrics I'm not wild about, but looking back from this perspective to some of the stuff I listened to in the old days I wouldn't be too wild about some of those tunes either.  The kids (especially daughter) kind of look disdainfully at me when I turn Seacrest on in the car, but I don't care, if it's catchy I'll listen.  Summer concert plans have changed as well.  Still going to see Brantly Gilbert and Lady Antebellum and Little Big Town and Gary Allen, but also Train and Clarkston.  And Fun.  They seem like they will be fun.    Oh, and I hope somebody calls that Carley Rae girl.  Also hope she can come up with a few more songs, unlike the Golden Earring---I know they were big in Europe, but come on.......




No comments:

Post a Comment