Thursday, November 29, 2012

Obituaries

Lately--well, the past year or so--I've been paying a little close attention to the obits. Don't know what it is, maybe just a case of getting older.  That, and the fact that a few guys I went to college with have passed away. 

I always check for the long obituaries first.  Usually it is from an older person, and you can actually learn quite a bit about a person in just a couple of paragraphs.  A lot of soldiers have been passing on of course, and it seems that a lot of them were successful in their lives after the military.  They were the "Greatest Generation".  Then you have the stories of the people with lots of kids, or teachers for decades, or successful businessmen who started with nothing and made it to the top.  Seem like interesting folks, and when I see someone who lived until they were eighty something I really don't feel so bad for them, as they had a long life, which says something.

I don't like reading about kids who have died.  Especially those who pass accidentally. Feel so sad for them, and for those they leave behind.  I wouldn't have known how to deal with a loss some of these people face.  Of course, every so often you read about a young parent who passes away.  I really feel sorry for the kids left behind. And then you have the people who die who are your age.  This really gets me thinking.  Sometimes I wonder why them and not me?  Good living?  Dumb luck?  Who knows.......

Every so often you come across someone you know.  An old neighbor, a friend you haven't seen or thought about in years, an old teacher, maybe a long lost relative.  These always bring back a rush of memories for me...What was the person doing since I last saw them?  Where were they living?  Family?  There almost always are nice stories or tidbits about folks who pass away.  It's always nice to know that someone has a good word to say about you when your gone.  Hope they don't have to lie when my number comes up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment