Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving

Well, we're just about at the start of the holiday season.  Thanksgiving means many different things to different people.  To some it's the start of the shopping season. For others, it's a day full of football.  Others are lucky enough to spend the day with their loved ones, while others are just happy to have a day off of work. 

When I was a kid it seemed like we always had Thanksgiving at my grandparents house.  My aunts and uncles and cousins would be there, and Gramma always made a big feast.  I still would like to know how she made those mashed potatos.  Boy they sure were good.  The Mrs. and I don't really have much family around.  We will be spending the day with my Mom and the kids, and maybe my sister will show up with her family.  I know it is a far cry from how some people will spend Thanksgiving, but we'll have a good time and it will be nice to spend time together.

I started thinking about the things I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful to have a loving wife who takes great care of me.  I'm thankful for my wonderful children who would seem to have decent futures in front of them.  They have never caused me any (meaningful) distress, another thing I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful the Mrs. and I have our jobs, jobs that have provided a pretty good life for us.  I am really happy that there really isn't too much that I want to do that I haven't been able to do. 

I'm thankful that when I flip a switch the lights come on, and when I twist a handle the water (clean) flows.  I'm happy to have a roof over my head.  I am thankful to be well (over?) fed.  I am thankful everyday for all my friends.  I am thankful to live in the greatest country in the world, even with its flaws.  It is better than any alternative.  I have so much to be thankful for, and I need to remember how lucky I have things.  Hope everyone is able to spend time with family and friends, and remember to be thankful for what you have....

No comments:

Post a Comment