Thursday, March 22, 2012

What do you want for your children?

What do you want for your children?  I have thought about this often over the years.  When they were born all I wanted was for them to be healthy and have all their toes and fingers.  I wanted them to always feel safe, and to be well fed.  I wanted them to grow up with a childhood they would remember.  I wanted them to do well in school.  I wanted them to have friends.  I wanted them to have everything they needed  (not wanted) to be successful.  I wanted them to not worry about things.

And what is it I want for them now?  I think that parents have always wanted their children to have a better lifestyle than they did.  This is probably a worldwide trait--for the most part I think.  My biggest fear is that this isn't going to happen.  I think that the middle class is shrinking, and it's not a good world when things get worse instead of better.  So here is what I want for my kids.  Of course, I want them to graduate from college, and to find careers that they are happy with.  I want them to have more friends than they can count. I want them to always have enough, and to know what that is.  I want them to not worry so much about material things.  I want them to be able to travel.  I want them to be challenged.  I want them to be compassionate, to help others ( reminds me of an old Kennedy quote--something like "To those who much is given, much is expected".). I want them to live in a peaceful world.  I want them to find that special person, the one they can't live without--and when they do to love like crazy. I want them to know they are loved.



No comments:

Post a Comment