Monday, March 19, 2012

Funerals

I don't like funerals.  It doesn't have anything to do with a dead body, open casket or not.  I know that death is part of the cycle and that everyone has their time.  It's the traditional funeral I don't like.

I don't like funerals for kids or young adults.  It just tears me up when there is some accident or disaster and you see the small little coffin.  All the experiences a person will never have.  What could they accomplished in life.  All the grieving their families must be doing...

I don't like funerals for old people who die of some disease or illness.  This seems like such a sad way to end a life.  People who led long and productive lives dependent on others for even basic needs.  It really takes it's toll on their loved ones.  And ages them.  They sometimes seem to be relieved at the funeral.  I perfer to remember the good times. 

I don't like funerals for people killed by stupidity or negligence of their own or by others.   This just plain pisses me off.  Don't drink and drive.  Don't play with guns.  Don't drive around the railroad crossing gate.  Don't go where you shouldn't be in the first place. 

I don't like standing in lines at funerals.  Relatives look so uncomfortable receiving people at a funeral.  Besides the grieving they are doing, they have to figure out who all these people are.  Co-worker?  Old relative?  Somebodies new girlfriend who never even met the deceased? 

I don't particularly like eulogies at funerals--even though that's the only place for them I guess.  Every person who dies was not a saint.  He was not the best father ever.  She didn't sacrifice everything for her family.  Sometimes you listen to a eulogy and you know it's a load.  I understand it's nice to say a few good words, but sometimes you need to be a little realistic.

As for myself, well I'd like to say I'm not going, but I know better.  I don't want a funeral.  How about a party?  Get some beer, play some music, dance a little.  Remember the good times, talk about the bad if you want (what would I care?),  hug Cathie and the kids and get on with it.

As I get older I realize that there are going to be more funerals. What relatives I have are really starting to get up there, and of course it's the same with my friends parents and families.   I find myself checking the obits a little more often now, hoping I don't see anyone I know.  I usually try to send a condolence card, but I make no promise about attending the funeral.  I don't like funerals.


No comments:

Post a Comment