Thursday, July 11, 2013

Road Trip--Day 4

We awoke in St. Louis to a very rainy morning, so we decided to take it easy.  Leisurely breakfast, dip in the pool.  We were set to head to Nashville when i get the bright idea to head to Memphis.  Decided I wanted to tour Stax Records.  No big deal, we don't have a schedule, so...

Down I-55 we head.  And there is pretty much nothing on I-55 except I-55.  Towns are few and far between, no points of interest, just drive drive drive.  We did stop for a quick lunch at Lambert's, home of the Throwed Roll.  I had seen it one one of those goofy eating shows on TV, and it was a fun stop.  The food and service was excellent, they were throwing rolls all over the place, and we had a good time.  But if you go, bring cash---that's all they take.  You won't leave hungry.

Well we got to Memphis and headed to Stax.  I am sure there are some nice areas of Memphis, but this is not one of them.  Very sad, devastated area.  Soulsville was not some place that I wanted to be.  The studio/museum looked fine, it was the rest of the area I was concerned with.  I just didn't feel comfortable.  I decided to just take a picture and hit the road.  If I want the tour I'll watch the PBS documentary again.

After the obligatorily drive by of Graceland--ya' gotta' at least drive by and nod--it was of to Nashville.  But we weren't going to make it before nine, so we decided to just take a piece of the trip, and over nighted in Jackson, home of Casey Jones.  Yee ha.....Stopped at one of those no name motels that you fine the coupon for at the rest area.  It wasn't the Ritz.  Heck it wasn't even the Budgetel.   It was old, the mattress was shaped like a U, and the morning breakfast was a miss.  But it was clean, had a pool, and was half the price of what we usually pay, so sometimes you gotta' take one for the overall good.  Now, off to Nashville...

No comments:

Post a Comment