Monday, July 8, 2013

Road Trip Day 2

Might as well stay at it....

This morning found us heading out of Minnesota back to Wisconsin.  But not directly, got to cut through Iowa.  We were heading to Potosi to the National Brewery Museum. First stop found us in Burr Oak, Iowa at a Laura Ingalas museum.  Nice people, but the Mrs. foot precluded us from taking the 45 minute walking tour.  Did enjoy the museum.

Next up was the Effigy Mounds National Monument.  You all have heard the story of these things, how they were built and how the were flattened out by progress.  The shortest hike was a mile out, and a mile back.  The temp was in the 90's.  I was wearing black.  A guy just back looked like he was going to pass out in the bathroom.  The Mrs. said she would just sit and wait for me.  I figured she might be waiting forever.  I decided to pass.

Finally got to the old historic Potosi Brewery.  Had lunch, and it was fantastic.  The museum is a couple of floors of advertising on loan from collectors around the country.  It was neat to see, and I'm glad we stopped.  Am also glad I didn't make a special trip just to see it......

Stared to get late in the day, so we headed south.  Thought about the cable car ride in Dubuque, but 98 degrees is hot to ride up a hill.  We passed.  Through Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, finally decided to stop early in Mt. Pleasent.  Nobody from Mayberry here, but we had a couple of beers and played some cribbage and hit the pool. 

Which brings me to the strangest sight I may have ever seen in my travels.  This old guy (older than me, so old).  He gets in the pool, which is cold, quite cold.  After this guy gets in a little bit, he starts soaping up!  Yup, the guy is taking a bath in the swimming pool.  Kinda trying to hide it, but I just gave him the stink eye.  No more swimming for us......that'll do it for today.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.....

Oh, by the way---anyone know anything about some Buddest Temple or Oriental shrine on highway 50 in Minnesota?  Strange sight.....

1 comment: