Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Road Trip Day 3

The third day of our trip found us heading south into Missouri.  The Mrs. was driving when we came upon Hannibal, home of Mark Twain.  This was a no brainier, of course we had to stop.  Now I can remember making this stop many years ago when I was a kid, and let me tell you Hannibal has seen better days.  I know it is old, but it just seemed run down.  They have been hit hard by water and wind in recent years.  We took the bus our, and the guide was good, we learned and saw quite a few things.  The Mrs. and I talked about it and decided that maybe people just don't pay as much attention to Tom and Huck and Becky and the rest of the gang as they used to, hence the lack of tourists in Hannibal.  Don't know.....

Next we stopped in St. Charles.  Now the Mrs. and I had been here some 28 years ago when we honeymooned in St. Louis.  The neighborhood has changed.  I remember driving out there on a little two lane road, but found myself on a eight lane superhighway.  Once we got ourselves to the river, much seemed the same (as best we can remember).  Lots of little shops, clothes and trinkets and  Missouri souvenirs.  We all been somewhere like this, but it was fun to go back.  People were awful nice.

Then it was a short ride to St. Louis and our home away from home, the Drury Inn.  This is where we usually stay when we come to St. Lou, and I would recommend it.  I would also recommend you get in touch with me so I can share a little secret we've learned on how to get the best rates......

After a quick nap for me and a dip in the pool, it was off to dinner with Stewart at Four Square. I can't believe that he will be starting his fourth and final year at SLU in just a little over a month.  The time does fly.  Mother says he looks skinny.  She always says that, I thought he looked good.  He certainly seems to know what he is doing as far as his future and what not.  Very confident man.  We will always be concerned, but I think the worrying is done.  It was great to see Stew, and he'll be home to visit in a few weeks, so we are looking forward to that.

And that was it.  We got "confused" per usual on our ride back yo the hotel after dropping off Stewart, but no big deal.  Still haven't decided where to next, guess we'll just follow the road....


No comments:

Post a Comment