Thursday, January 3, 2013

This and That

A few things on my mind...

...Well we have backed away from the "Fiscal Cliff".  The brokers on Wall Street sure seem happy, but this isn't the end of our problems.  The debt ceiling looms, the Speaker is dropping F-bombs, and now a new Congress is sworn in.  I'm no economist, but even I know that if ya' spend more than ya' take in, your gonna have trouble.  Work together to solve problems people....

...Speaking of the new Congress, we now have the least amount of veterans since WWII, and the most women ever (20).  Will be interesting to see if the ladies can get things accomplished.

....Sad to see that Newsweek has ceased publication of their print edition.  I enjoyed reading the magazine, along with others like The Sporting News that are now gone.  I realize the way the business works, with the internet and what not.  It's kind of hard to argue when you can pretty much carry every newspaper and magazine and book in your pocket or briefcase.  But to me, there is still some thing about holding a book or newspaper in your hands---the smell, the sound of turning pages,----I will miss it.

....Glad I don't live in Chicago.  Heard on the radio there were 15 shootings on Jan 1st.  Then they say that only three people were killed though.  The guy sounded kind of disappointed, like they needed target practice or something.  Guess it's come to the point if you have a beef with someone ya' start shooting.  Time to find a new Marshall Dillon...

...Nave you noticed how may college football bowl games there are?  When I was a kid I think there were maybe ten or so.  You had the Cotton, Orange, Sun, Gator, of course the Rose Bowl, and a few others, like the Tangerine.  Now there has to be nearly 40 I would guess.  Get a couple of guys (or schools) together, find a sponsor, a place to play and somebody to televise it and you have your own bowl game.  And you have tams with 5 or 6 losses playing.  Guess we need something to fill up all the network TV. At least the games I've watched have been entertaining...

....Speaking of TV, I can't get over the stuff they put on TV.  Moonshiners, pawn brokers, swampers, Amish Mafia, cheating wives (and husbands), prison garbage.  I know they wouldn't put it on if people weren't watching, and there is plenty of good stuff on, and if I don't like something all I have to do is switch the channel (or just turn it off).  I just hope I don't see anyone I know on any of these shows....

....I see in Kansas the state is going after some guy for child support.  He says he was just a sperm donor for his lesbian friends.  Only problem with that is they didn't use a sperm bank, just went at it naturally.  Yeah, okay, sounds a little fishy to me, if ya' know what I mean....

....Wishing everyone a prosperous New Year.  Stay safe.....

No comments:

Post a Comment