Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Tip

I've been thinking about this for some time now.  The Misses and I  like to go out to eat, probably too much.  It is easy to do, a little treat for us, less work for her, so we go.  No big deal.  But after the meal is over, it's time to pay the bill (why do they call it a check?).  Of course, with the bill comes the tip.  And here is where my questions come in.

How much do I tip my server, and why?  I know the waiter will say 20 percent (or more), if you can't afford the tip you should stay home.  Others say 15 percent, others still have their little math formulas or tip calculators they follow.  Then does it matter if it's breakfast lunch or dinner?  What about if I have a coupon, or a Groupon?  So many questions......

Does the size of the party come into play?  Sometimes the restaurant will add a tip amount if your group is more than 6 or 8.  I find that usually these folks would do better (with me at least) if they let me figure it myself.  What about if you go by yourself?  I had breakfast the other day by myself, bill was nine bucks.  Tip was three bucks.  Now if I was out with the Misses and the bill was eighteen, I really doubt if I would have left the lady a six dollar tip. 

What about the "quality" of the restaurant?  The the higher cost of the meal justify a higher tip for your server?  If I'm just getting average service at an upscale restaurant the percentage tip will probably be lower than if I'm just getting average service at an average price place.

We have a couple of places around here we go to that generally have buy one/get one coupons quite often.  The wait staff at these places make out pretty well with me if they even have average service, as I usually  just tip the cost of the free meal.  I figure I'm saving the cost of the tip, so I'm happy, they're happy, it works out. 

So how do I tip?  Well I guess I tip women more than men.  Don't know why, just do.  I guess I figure they need it more.  I try not to let the meal determine how much I tip.  I tend to tip more if I go to an inexpensive place because I figure there are too many folks there that simply use some math formula.  If you have a poor attitude, forget it---don't treat it like a chore, it's your job.  Act like you enjoy it.  If you "add a gratuity" don't expect one cent more, you won't get it from me.  I'm usually in the 20 percent range--you really need to irk me to get anything close to 10 from me.  College age wait staff get a bump from me as well as I have a couple of kids that age and am really happy they don't work in that industry.....

Well that's about it.  Finicky part of the world we live in, but it is what it is....let me know your thoughts......

No comments:

Post a Comment