Monday, October 8, 2012

Fall---or is it Autumn?


So I've been spending the day kind of putting away the summer stuff and getting ready fall--or is it autumn?  Whatever...I used to really enjoy fall, the changing of the colors, the cool evenings and what not.  The thing is I'm not all that wild about it anymore.  Putting out fall decorations?  All that means is they have to be put away.  I don't even care to carve up pumpkins anymore.  I enjoyed all the fall activities when the kids were young, the decorations and the costumes and the trick or treat.  Now I just want it to get over so we can get through winter and get back to summer. 

There are things to do.  There are harvest fests and Octoberfest beer and various homecomings.  There is playoff baseball, and football season.  But there are also leafs to rake, furniture to put away, lawn to get ready for winter.  The cars need to be serviced, and the furnace needs to be checked out as well.  And there is less daylight to get all this stuff done in.  I don't like the short gray days.  And going to work when it is dark and then coming home when it is dark is no treat either.

I think I'm just getting old.  I don't seem  to care put in the effort anymore with the decorations and what not.  I'm always looking for shortcuts now.  The thing is I always like it when the house is decorated or the chores are accomplished.  So what am I going to do?  Well, keep raking leafs and putting away the summer stuff and putting up the Halloween decorations.  I'll even go and get a couple of pumpkins to carve.  And I'll remember all the fun Autumns I had with the family, and think about those days ahead when I won't be doing all this "fun" stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment