Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stuff

Recently I've begun to think about where the Mrs. and I are going to live when we get done with the working times of our lives.  When the kids aren't around here this place is sure large and empty.  There are rooms around here that we don't even go into for weeks.  I am sure we don't need a place this big, but.....

What to do with all the stuff?  We've been here for almost twenty years now.  I am a saver.  I think that as soon as I get rid of something I'm going to need it.  We have accumulated all kinds of things.  We have boxes of stuff that we are saving for the kids.  We have boxes of stuff that was saved for us by our parents.  I know there are boxes of stuff that we moved in here nineteen some odd years ago that HAVE NOT moved!  So the Mrs. and I have decided that things have got to go. 

This is not going to be that easy.  The clutter, that won't be so tough.  The books, newspapers and magazines, those things only have memories for me, and I'll look at them as they go.  The stuff saved for different projects, well the projects probably aren't going to happen so it's time to let go of all that stuff.  The yard decorations, well I'm not as motivated anymore, so some of that stuff might just as well be tossed as well.  But that stuff is all easy.  We are hanging on to a lot of stuff thinking maybe someday the kids will want it or need it.  Furniture and tools, and some of their old clothes that were so cute on them.  Will they need it, or want it?  Who knows.....

Then there is the house itself.  When we moved in here, I said that's it, next time I move it's feet first.  Well my thoughts on this have evolved some.  This place is too big for two people to live in.  Too much yard to maintain, too much house to clean (for the Mrs., not me!).  We have great neighbors, like it here in the Falls, but I sure don't like winter as much as I used to.  Where we are going to live is a decision for later, but I don't want to be that last of the "originals" in the neighborhood either.

So what's the plan?  We'll sell some stuff off, toss some stuff out, give some stuff away.  We are going to think long and hard about any new major purchases like furniture, and I'll remember what a mess it was going through my dad's stuff when he passed and get started on weeding stuff out now to save others the headache later on.  I'll miss all my stuff, but I'll get over it.  I think....

No comments:

Post a Comment