Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Food Rationing?

So I've been reading about how the United States is grossly overweight as a whole, and how the problem is only getting worse.  There are some scary stats out there about how the obesity problem will continue to affect the health care system.  Is there a problem?  I would say yes.  How are we dealing with it?

By mandating what we feed the kids for lunch at school?  They are now limiting choices, counting calories for the kids, stuff like this.  The problem is that the kids aren't all put together the same.  You've got kids playing linebacker on the football team trying to get by on the same calorie count as the hundred pound girl on student council.  Now I know that you can bring your own lunch..  I also know there are a lot of kids who depend on a school lunch for their main meal of the day. 

Now I think I know what they are trying to do.  They want the kids to eat more fruit and vegetables.  They want people to eat healthier, and they think that by only offering "healthy" alternatives at the school lunch people will learn to eat better.  So here is my question.  What has happened to personal responsibility?  What has happened to taking responsibility for your kids health?  Why are we depending on some bureaucrat somewhere telling us what we can or can't eat?  Or how much of it?  I know there are too many fast food places around, and sometimes it's a pain to cook.  I also know that you shouldn't eat garbage all the time, but I think you need to be able to make your own choices too.

So now they are telling the kids how to eat healthy at lunch.  They won't let me buy a giant Coke in New York City any more.  What's next?  Can only eat seafood on Friday, gotta have meatloaf on Monday?  Gonna limit how much water I can drink?  As a nation we are fat, so we limit student lunch calorie input because it's better for health in the long run.  Well what about smoking, or drinking?  Not so good for the health either I think.  Wondering where it's going to end.  Whaddya think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment