Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Denver

Quite the day.....

We started day 16 of our trek a little behind schedule, but after taking care of some administrative chores we headed over to Red Rocks--too late for the sunrise we were encouraged to see, but I wanted to check it out anyways.  They have a nice museum and a  history of the performers who have been there, some short videos playing constantly, and a rundown on how the amphitheater came to be.  It is world renowned--and apparently is the biggest workout area around when not in use for music.  People all over running and jumping and what not.  Young and old, teams and individuals.  A woman told us on the weekend it's sometimes hard to even move around.

Next we were off to the Coors Brewery tour.  Different than other tours we have been on, they give you one of those handheld things that give you the story as you move on to different sections of the tour.  They actually let you move at our own pace.  Other than that just the typical brewery tour, although they have a fairly wide selection in the sampling room and are fairly generous with it. 

We had planned on heading downtown after our tour, but it was awful hot here, pushing 100 I guess, so we took advantage of an early check in time for a little R&R.  A little rest for me, then some afternoon sun and pool time with he Misses.  Very relaxing, but hotter than a pistol.  I've been in baths that were cooler than the pool I think, and didn't even look at the hot tub.

We headed to dinner in the city at a place called Euclids.  Not the typical place you would find the Misses and myself, but the people were awful nice, the beer was good and cold, and the food was excellent.  I would highly recommend it, especially to the younger folks.

Finally, we headed back to Red Rocks.  I had told the Misses before we left home that I didn't care who was playing, I'd like to see a concert at Red Rocks.  On the schedule for this night was Sam Smith, not at the top of my must see list, but at least I know who he is.  The show was sold out, but there is always Craigslist.  I had checked a couple of days ago, and there were plenty of seats available, so I figured no problem.  I figured we'd pick up some general admission seats and be in good shape.  Looking at the place I didn't see how there could be a bad seat in the house, and don't think there is.  We talked to a few people and they said we'd have to get there early, but so what.

Surprising to myself, though, the ticket prices remained strong.  I was calling folks and emailing and getting no replies.  I wasn't worried, but a little concerned.  Then an ad popped up for some seats that sounded really good.  The Misses walked over and found them, sat down and gave me the thumbs up.  I got ahold of the guy and we were in.  Excellent seats, dead center, 25 row up.  Proved to be the best seats I've ever had in a large venue like Red Rocks.  The show was entertaining, though relatively short (Sam Smith has but one album), Smith is a very good sing with a unique voice, band was real good.  But the real star of the evening for me was Red Rocks itself.  What an amazing place to see a show.  If you ever get the chance, don't miss it.

So that was the day.  We only have about a week to go now on this great vacation----quick scoot through Denver this morning, then I have a hankerin' for some good ribs......

No comments:

Post a Comment