Sunday, September 1, 2013

Things I'm Missin'

Was thinking about things that have changed over my 50 some odd years here....

I miss Popeye and Road Runner cartoons.  Somebody must have decided they are too violent.  A lot of the old cartoons are gone.  Guess they weren't politically correct.

I miss pre free agent baseball.  Andy Messerschmidt and Dave McNally are not friends of mine.  Players stayed pretty much with the same team their entire career if they were any good.  Al Kaline was a Tiger.  Willie Mays was a Giant.  Mickey Mantle was a Yankee.  You knew who was playing on every team.  Owners got rich.  Players still made more money than most everyone else.  Games were more affordable for folks to attend.  Things were simpler......

I miss the days before the proliferation of cell phones.  Who the hell are we talking to all the time?  What is so important?  What did we do before we had them?  We can carry around the knowledge of the world in our pockets.  We IM and text and snapchat and what not.  Not near as much face to face conversations as there used to be, I notice....

I miss the little mom and pop stores and restaurants and what not.  Economy of scale I suppose.  Trying to be everything to everyone, make more money for the shareholders.  The big got bigger, the little went away.  Oh well...

I miss Michelob Classic Dark.  Really enjoyed that.

I miss my grandparents.  Never really knew them on my mom's side, but I miss them from my dad's side.  Gramma's baked potatoes, quarter for a lost tooth, playing cards, all kinds of good memories.  Miss them.

I miss all the friends that have come and gone over the years.  People from childhood and college and old neighbors and the workplace who have passed through my life.  Once in awhile they show up again.  Suppose I could make an effort to track them down, probably should. We'll see.....

I miss my Dad.

I miss my kids from when they were kids.  Boy I had some fun.  I got to be a kid again.  What a wonderful time I had.  Now I get to miss them when they are gone. 

There are plenty of other things that I miss, but time moves on.  There is also plenty that I don't miss, so I suppose things have a way of evening out.  Enjoy the people and things you enjoy while you can, because you never know when they will be gone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment