Friday, August 16, 2013

One Last Ride

In a couple of hours the Misses and I will pile into the car and take our little boy to St. Louis for his final year of college.  It doesn't seem that this is possible.  It isn't that long ago that he was being Elmo for Halloween,  learning to ride his bicycle, or starting kindergarten, or being a cub scout, or finishing middle school, or learning to drive, or graduating high school.  It can't be three years ago that we first moved him into Greis, with that kid who's name I have no idea what is.  There is absolutely no way that he will soon be finishing college, can he?

It really is amazing to me how fast these years have passed.  I still really have no idea how Stewart choose SLU.  We looked at a number of state schools, some smaller schools out of state, and some big public universities.  St. Louis has really been a great fit for Stew.  He has some wonderful (and interesting) friends and classmates.  He has done very well in the classroom, and has traveled all over the place running track.  Don't see how things could have worked out any better anywhere else.

Stew is ready to go back.  His friends are in St. Louis for the most part now.  For all I know, so is his future.  I dearly miss him when he isn't here, but have finally come to peace with it.  I have decided that I shouldn't be sad that he is gone, instead being happy that I had the eighteen or so years with him here all the time.  There is no way that I would have experienced all that I have if Stew and his sister hadn't come along.   It has been a pleasure.  I am excited for him and his future, and look forward to seeing where things lead him.   I wish him all good luck, because he will need it.  I am damn proud to be his father, and he has made it easy.  Thanks for everything son, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment