Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Lasts

It's been awhile.....

I've been thinking a lot lately about doing things for the last time.  Sometimes one is not physically able to continue doing something.  Other times you just lose interest doing something, and the next thing you know you don't do it anymore.  Sometimes you run out of time, or ambition, or both.

This pass summer the misses and I took a wonderful trip west.  We had a fantastic time, but I realize that there is little chance that I will ever see some of those places again.  And there are other places I've been that I'll never see again.  Kinda sad, but I know that new adventures await.  And this was also the last summer we will hold our big labor day party....many great memories, but it has gotten to be just too much work.  There are places we don't go anymore, things we just don't do.  Interests change, venues close.  Time goes on.

Probably the saddest "last" that's been on my mind is the people.  It starts when you're younger, and as you grow you loose friends and make new ones along the way.  You move, they move, you lose track of each other.  People move, go off to college, get jobs.  You see people everyday, interact with them constantly, then they are gone.  Oh, sometimes you run into them, and it seems the same, but its not.  Folks change, and so do you.  Of course, people die.  It's a fact of life (ha).  Seeing people for the last time is a sad thing, and knowing it is worse.  I think its sometimes better not knowing....

When I started writing this blog one of my goals was to have my kids read it, and maybe learn more about me and my thoughts and ideas.  Maybe learn a little about "where" they come from.  Whether they have or not, I don't know.  Can only hope so.  In any case, this is the last "Random Rumbling of a Middle Aged White Guy".  For one thing I find myself no longer middle aged.  I think I'm what I like to call early old.  I'm getting there.  I'm heading into the fourth quarter---but it's all good.  The kids are out on their own, making their own memories and mistakes.  Hopefully they have learned from my mistakes, and the memories are good ones.  The misses and I are planning for our next stage of life here, and I'm excited.  I hope somebody somewhere has been entertained, or has had to think about something, or has been moved to action by my writings.  I have generally enjoyed getting my thoughts down.  Thanks to everyone for reading these past 3 and a half years......

No comments:

Post a Comment