Friday, July 31, 2015

A Day With the Mormons--Day 11

We headed out early in the morning, mainly to get away from the lodging I guess.  We were about 200 miles from Utah, but it was a pretty easy ride---especially because I slept though most of it.  When I woke I was surprised to see salt flats along he roadway.  Kind of like a moonscape.   Really strange.  We made a stop at the Great Salt Lake, and too about a mile out to take a closer look.  Easy hike, hot, and you could smell the salt in the air.  We got to the lake and walked in, and that's about it.  It's big, salty (I had to taste it), and that's about it.  Can't see any good use for the water---can't drink it, water anything with it, saw no boaters or fishers or any other water rec users.  I guess it's just there.

Then we drove to Salt Lake City, and went to the Temple Square, the campus of the Church of Later Day Saints--the Mormons.  The gardens are beautiful, the buildings amazing, the people very helpful.  We were able to see an organ recital at the Tabernacle, which was very enjoyable.  We walked around the Temple--not allowed inside, we're not Mormon!!--very interesting building.  Then we walked into the Family History Library, and started mapping the family tree.  I had heard about this place some where, but it really interested me.  The Mormons think you'll see you entire ancestry in the afterlife, and they have gone all over the world collecting and digitizing all kinds of vital records.  Believe me, you or a relative are in their data base.  It looks a lot like Ancestry.com, except its free.  Amazing to me what is out there on the inter web about people.  I'm hooked now, and will be continuing the "relative search".

After we went back to the hotel for a bite and to clean up some, the Misses and I took a walk back to Temple Square to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice.  They perform in a place called the Conference Center.  Huge building, seats 21,000, wonderful acoustics.  The conductor was excellent, and we got to hear them sing a couple of full songs.  They're pretty good......

We're going to spend another day here in SLC....much to do, going to relax a little and regroup....and get ready, because it looks like we are going to get caught up in the heat now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment