Thursday, June 20, 2013

Greeting Cards


And the lightening of the lode continues.  If you have ever sent me a greeting card, I pretty much still have it.  That's right, fifty some years of Hallmark memories are in boxes and bags in my basement.  Christmas and birthday cards, invitations, anniversary, and every other holiday under the sun.  And I'm getting rid of them now.

But of course I just can't toss them out.  I have to read them all.  No, not the the printed part from the card companies, but the little notes and comments you have all sent.  Yeah, I'm reading them all one more time.  And the memories sure do come back.  There are greetings from relatives celebrating births and weddings and anniversaries.  And condolences for losses.  There are party invitations for all kinds of events.  And there are notes here for no reasons at all.  Some of these cards are silly, some are dated (I mean content dated, not old dated---of course they are old), and some are just pretty "cards".

And then there are the people who sent the cards, those kind enough to remember the Mrs. and me.  There have been many changes in my life, as well as yours.  I have greetings from you before you we married, before you had kids.  Some of you have divorced.  Some of your kids now have kids.  I have cards from relatives who have passed away---some are sad, but people get old.  They all bring back memories.  There are cards from old classmates, old girlfriends, and people who I have absolutely no idea who they are.  Some folks simply signed their names, other short notes.  There are cards here from people I sure do miss seeing, and folks I hear from all the time.  Oh, and the wonderful Christmas letters are all there is well.

But now is the time to send them to the recycling bin.  I'm keeping the ones (for now) from mom and dad, the in laws,  and everything from the Mrs,--even from before she was the Mrs.  But everything is being read.  I want to thank you all once again for the kind wishes, and all the memories they are bringing back.

No comments:

Post a Comment