Thursday, April 12, 2012

Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman

These two will be linked together forever.  I've been trying to figure this out for a few days now. Here is what I come up with. 

What do we know for facts.  We know Martin is dead and we know Zimmerman shot him.  Only one person knows what exactly happened, and even if he wanted to I'm not sure Zimmerman could provide all the exact details.  Sometimes the mind remembers what it wants to.  We know Martin talked to his friend, she says he was scared.  We know Zimmerman talked to the police.  There are recordings of these conversations.  The police had contact with Zimmerman in previous incidents.  They told him to back off and wait for police.  He didn't.  From some of the transcripts it would appear that Zimmerman had some preconcieved notions about young black males.  We know that the police recovered the weapon and a shell casing. We know Zimmerman had a concealed carry permit. They also questioned him for five hours and decided they couldn't charge him.  We know others heard a fight or scuffle and called 911.  We also know Florida has a Stand Your Ground Law.

What I'm a little fuzzy on.  Why did Zimmerman follow Martin.  Was he doing something, or did he just think he was going to.  He's a self appointed block captain walking around carrying a gun?  Heck, I'm the block captain here--never thought of carrying a gun.  Did Martin attack Zimmerman?  Everything I read says Zimmerman followed Martin and then confronted him.  From the pictures I've seen this appears to be some sort of gated area.  Was Martin cornered?  I've said this before---if I think somebody is going to shoot me and I have no way out, I'm coming at you.  I know I have little chance, but I'll be damned if I going to stand still and get shot.  Why did it take so long to charge Zimmerman?  Is special prosecutor Corey going to make her bones on this case?  Was Zimmerman playing cop?

How about some what ifs. What if Zimmerman would have waited for the police?   What if Zimmerman was black and Martin was white?  Would the police arrested him immediately?  What would the outrage be.  What if Martin was there to break in or injure someone?  What would have happened to Martin if he took Zimmerman's gun away from him and shot him?  What is going to happen if Zimmerman is aquitted, or convicted? Have we maybe gone too far with these "castle laws"? 

Now some thoughts.  I've been in peoples yards where I didn't belong.  Never broke into a house, but there was the George Woelhfol incident.  I've pissed plenty of people off.  Suppose in todays enviornment I'd be shot dead by now.  And I'm not the only one.  If you have children of a certain age I suggest you worn them.  Stay away from peoples houses.  Gosh don't TP their house or soap their windows.  If your kids are older you'd better tell them to worn their kids.  I think it's probably better to run to the police than to run from them now.  I'm wondering what the reaction is going to be when the kid of some big gun advocate is killed and nothing is done becaus of a castle law.  Seems like we're going back to the days of the wild wild west.  Kinda scary....

No comments:

Post a Comment